A sea of banana bread posts have flooded our Instagram feeds in the last few weeks and honestly, who's to complain?
There's nothing more comforting than the smell of a homemade loaf baking away during a day in quarantine.
We decided to join in on the fun with this vegan, gluten and refined sugar-free spin on the classic. Made with chunky dark chocolate chunks, this is the perfect treat with an afternoon cup of tea.
Give it a whirl and let us know what you think.
[Recipe adapted from Emma Macdonald]
2 medium-sized bananas (ripe and spotty)
2 heaped tbsp coconut oil
4-5 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 cup oats
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
Chocolate chunks (we used refined-sugar free dark choc)
Pinch of salt
Optional: chopped almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Mash bananas with a fork. Add maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Combine well.
3. Whisk together dry ingredients and add to the banana mixture to form a batter.
4. Transfer to a lined baking tin and bake for around 20 minutes until golden brown (a knife should come out clean).
5. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.